Muscles commonly become overloaded due to injury, poor posture and other factors. When this occurs, the muscle will tear, or it will “shut down” by the nervous system as a protective mechanism.
This results in:
- Decreased range of motion
- Decreased performance due to a cascade of overload to other muscles and tendons
Utilizing the AMIT approach, Dede Lewis can test to identify which muscles are functioning normally, and those which are not. With manual touch to a specific set of pressure points unique to each muscle, she can reactivate the individual muscles to restore normal contractile ability. When this is combined with therapeutic exercise and muscle reeducation, remarkable restoration of function and pain relief is achieved.
Dede Lewis is the first PT to be trained in this approach, which is a more comprehensive protocol upon which the more commonly known Muscle Activation Technique is based. AMIT involves:
- Detailed testing and treatment of the neuromuscular skeletal system
- Identifying muscles that are not functioning
- Reactivating them to normal strength
Patients frequently experience immediate changes in pain and function with the AMIT approach which are unattainable so quickly with other techniques.